The Iron and Heme Core has a new address. You can find us now at Wintrobe room 621. Our new shipping address is:
Iron and Heme Core
26 North Medical Dr, Room 621
Maxwell M. Wintrobe Research & Education Building
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
To Set Up a User Account:Account Setup
To Place an Order:Place an Order
The Iron and Heme Core provides analysis of metals, precursor porphyrins and heme. The core will measure activity of the enzymes responsible for heme biosynthesis. Analysis and quantification of heme and its precursors can be obtained for cell pellets, tissue, whole blood, urine, feces and other complex biological materials. Analysis of enzyme activity can be provided for cell pellets, tissue and blood.
Protocols for many of our assays are downloadable from this website in PDF form. Core staff will provide additional assay protocols and consultation upon request.
Our Agilent 7900-ICP mass spectrometer is now available for metal analysis. Please check our “Services” tab for more information.
For all samples:
- Submission date
- Contact information (for verification, questions about samples, and result return)
- Approximate amount of each sample sent
- PO number (for external users) – should be included in on line service request.
Specific to Metal Analysis:
- What metal(s) do you need assayed (up to four)
- Have you included at least 500 uL of your blank? (Blank will be used to determine assay background.)
- How will you normalize your samples (protein concentration, weight, cell number)?
- Do you wish the core to determine protein concentration or weight for you?
- Please send a list of sample names
- If you determined: weight, protein concentration or cell number, please provide that information to the core
- Let us know when you ship a package so that we can be here to receive it
Specific to Porphyrin analysis:
- Do you need porphyrin isomers?
Please send any critical information via Email.